Enjoyable Social Activities
We meet regularly for the following:
- Taking part in pub socials and minibus trips
- Conducting Branch business
- Organising Branch Beer Festivals
- Undertaking brewery visits
For dates and venues of all of our activities, see any of the following
(click words in italic to directly access):
- This website’s Branch Diary,
- The monthly events email newsletter sent by our Social Secretary
(sign-up for e-mails via CAMRA‘s national website or contact our Social Secretary via firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Diary section of Pints of View the bi-monthly all-Hertfordshire magazine
- The Events section on CAMRA’s national website
We’d like to see as many of you as possible at our events. If we are holding an event near you, please feel free to come and meet us. You don’t have to be a member, but we hope that if you like good beer you will decide to join. Husbands, wives or other partners and friends are also welcome, even if they’d prefer to drink something unmentionable. We are a friendly crew and you may afterwards decide that you could get more out of your CAMRA membership by joining in regularly. We certainly hope so.
If you can’t make it to these events, feel free to suggest alternatives.
We try to visit as many pubs in our area as we can during the course of the year. We do this mainly in two ways: Wednesday socials and Saturday minibus trips.
- Wednesday evening socials are walks around the branch’s main town centres – Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth Garden City, Baldock and Royston – visiting several pubs. These walks usually start at 8pm in the first pub, and the selection of pubs (usually four or five) is chosen to fill a reasonable evening walk for time and length, depending upon how spread out each town centre is. We rotate around the towns throughout the year and cover all the pubs.
- Saturday evening minibus trips are to the rural pubs. VISITING RURAL PUBS WITHOUT HAVING TO DRIVE! These trips typically start at 7 PM in the first pub, with minibus pick-ups starting from 6 PM onwards in Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock and East Herts, as required. A minibus trip costs £5 to members and £8 to non-members – so family and friends are welcome! The number of seats on the minibus is limited, and so, places have to be booked in advance with the Social Secretary; I suggest, you book early.
Since 2016, we have been holding two Beer & Cider Festivals each year: Stevenage in February and Hitchin in June. At these, a team of hard-working members volunteer to ensure that beer, cider and perry lovers can sample as wide a range as possible, including many not normally found in our area. More help is always welcome at these events; please contact the Festival Organiser to offer your services. You need to be a CAMRA member (or a Round Table or Rugby Club member for the Hitchin festival) if you want to help, but if you are not already a CAMRA member we can sign you up on the spot!
We conduct branch business once every two months at a Branch Meeting. These are open to all members, but voting is for Committee Members in the main. Of course, as well as doing the business, we always enjoy a few drinks in pleasant company.
From time to time we visit breweries at which we see all stages of the brewing process and get to taste the final product. This is not just a fun activity; we also get to hear about the problems the brewers have to contend with, which can affect our campaigning activities profoundly. Usually, but not always, these trips are in conjunction with presenting the brewery with one of our ‘Beer Of Festival’ awards.
It would be great to see you at any of these. Please join us soon!